Monday, June 23, 2008

Grand Finale,...All-Nighter

Our new home underwent some major overall this past week. Beginning on Monday, I began knocking out all of the ceramic tile on the main floor of our home. It was about 650 square feet worth of it. It was a work out, but not that bad. The real surprise was the concrete board that it had been laid on. Whoever put it in had an obsession with their screw gun. Out of sheer and utter boredom, I counted how many screws I removed in our front hall alone. There were 345.

After 3 1/2 days of removal, it was time to pick up our new flooring (laminate that looks like wood) from Vallows. As I was getting ready to leave, planning in my head how I would try and get the hallway laid that night, the lady working their says to me, "Now you know that the flooring has to acclamate to the new temperature and humidity for 48 hours right?" At that point in time, it took all the grace I could muster to not lose it. You see, we ordered the floor in April, I called two weeks before to set up a time to pick it up, went in one week before to specifically ask them if they had any recommendations on how to best install the floor, talked to a rep from the company we bought from and called the day before pick up to confirm I'd be there. Exactly 0 people had thought it important enough to mention to me before this point that I had to let it sit for 48 hours before installing it. But I kept my cool,...and waited about 20 hours instead.

My brother-in-law Dave (wonderful guy) was going to help me install. We began around 10:30 am on Friday by first cutting through subfloor to relocate a vent, then had to replace subfloor by the back door where that had been previous water damage. By 2:00 pm we were finally ready to start laying floor. By 10:30 pm we had finished the front hall and decided to start on the kitchen. By about 3:00 am we were done with the kitchen and decided the dining room would be easy so we finished it up by about 6:00 am. At that point we knew if we stopped we wouldn't want to start again so we did the back hall and the bathroom. By about 12:30pm on Saturday we were finally done. About 26 hours straight of installying floor. (Check that, we did take a break to play softball from 7:30 - 9:30).

Regardless, it is now done and we have begun putting our house back in order. I really do plan on posting pictures sometime soon, but no promises as to when.

To all you who are doing projects (especially my incredibly brave brother Justin) good luck and godspeed.

3 comments:

Heath and Lindsey said...

I said it on the phone, but I will say it again, You are just getting old. I am sure I could have done at least 36 hours straight and been feeling fine. Can't wait to see it all!

mjvan said...

Wow! That's a lot of floor laying! I don't think I could do all nighters anymore! We should be able to see you maybe Friday night, but for sure Kinley and I could come in the morning.

Jody said...

We look forward to seeing your completed project. I wish I could say that we are close to finished, but it isn't looking that way.